5 Easy Recipes To Try During The Lockdown Period
Ever since lockdown, we all have been missing the late night meals at restaurants, street foods, and takeaways.
But no one can deny the increasing interest for cooking during these times, from baking breads to cakes, making homemade pizza to the lately popular dalgona coffee, everyone seems to enjoy experimenting with food.
So, before you try burning down your kitchen, here are some healthy, tasty and easiest of the recipes you can try at home.
CrispLid Banana Bread
Ready in: 1 hr Prep time: 15 min Cook Time: 30 min Servings: 8
Crowd-pleasing warm banana bread with a nice layer of walnuts on top can be made under the CrispLid.
It only has to cook for 30 minutes and you will have tender and delicious banana bread. Make this for breakfast, brunch, or a snack and everyone will be asking you to make it all the time.
1. Coat bottom and sides of a 6-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk ¾ cup flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp baking soda together in a bowl.
3. Combine 2 mashed bananas, 2 large beaten eggs, ½ cup sugar, ¼ cup milk, 2 tbsp vegetable oil, and ½ tsp vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
3. Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until the batter is combined; pour into the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle 2 tbsp chopped walnuts over batter.
4. Place trivet in inner steel pot of pressure cooker and set pan with batter onto trivet.
5. Set CrispLid on top of inner steel pot and plug in. Set CrispLid to 325°F (165°C) and cook until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle, about 30 minutes. Lift the lid using the handle and set it on the silicone trivet.
6. Transfer bread to a wire rack to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove bread from pan to serve.
Banana bread freezes well! Whether you cut it into pieces or keep it as a whole loaf, just defrost in the refrigerator for a day and then warm in the oven.
Ready in: 26 min Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 11 min Servings: 4
If you need a quick and easy kid-friendly dinner idea, let this recipe and your pressure cooker lend you a hand!
Fresh tomatoes, garlic, and basil make a tasty sauce for spaghetti in this one-pot wonder. The entire meal will be done in about the time it takes to boil spaghetti on the stovetop. Swap in vegetable stock and omit the cheese and you have a vegan dish.
1. Heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in inner steel pot of pressure cooker set to Sauté on Normal. Sauté 1 small minced onion in hot oil until fragrant for about 2 minutes; add 10 vine-riped chopped tomatoes and 2 cloves minced garlic and continue to sauté until tomatoes start to break down for about 4 minutes.
2. Pour 1 ½ cups chicken stock into the pot; add ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil, 1 tsp kosher salt, ½ tsp black pepper, and ¼ tsp red chili flakes and stir.
3. Push 450 gms spaghetti into the mixture with a spoon to cover in the tomato mixture.
4. Lock the pressure cooker lid in place. Set the steam vent to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook for 5 minutes on High pressure.
5. Press Cancel.
6. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then set steam vent to Venting to quick-release remaining pressure.
7. Stir mixture to break up any clumps of pasta.
If you need more protein in your pasta dinner, make meatballs or grill sausages to serve on top of this. Get them started before you make the spaghetti, however, because the spaghetti will be done quickly and is best enjoyed immediately!
Ready in: 29 min Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 9 min Servings: 6
These Chicken Wings will fly off your plate! But that's ok, you can make more in about 40 minutes. The trick to making magnificent chicken wings in a snap is the MultiPot.
A little bit of chicken stock keeps the wings moist and juicy while in the pressure cooker.
1. Rub 3 tbsp olive oil onto 1.3kg chicken wings to coat; season with ¾ tsp chili powder, ¾ tsp garlic powder, ¾ tsp onion powder,3/4 tsp oregano, ¾ tsp cayenne, salt, and black pepper as per taste.
2. Place the wings in the steel pot of the pressure cooker. Pour ¾ cup chicken broth into the pot.
3. Lock the pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook for 4 minutes on High pressure.
4. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then set steam vent to Venting to quick-release remaining pressure.
5. Preheat oven broiler to high.
6. Arrange wings in a single layer onto a baking sheet.
7. Cook wings under the hot broiler until the skin is crispy for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Chocolate Nutella Lava Cake
Ready in: 22 min Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 12 min Servings: 6
Chocolate Nutella lava cakes and all their melty, chocolatey goodness are a snap to make in your pressure cooker.
Simply pour the batter into ramekins or mason jars and cook for a few minutes. You’ll have an amazing dessert in mere minutes and your dinner guests will be thanking you and asking for the recipe!
1. Spray 6 ramekins with cooking spray. Pour 1 ½ cups water into inner steel pot of pressure cooker and place trivet in pot.
2. Melt 340 gms chocolate and ¾ cup butter together in the top of a double boiler (or in a microwave-safe bowl in 10-second intervals in the microwave), stirring often, until completely melted and blended, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Whisk ¾ cup sugar, 4 ½ eggs, 1/3 cup Nutella, 1/3 cup flour, and 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract together in a bowl until smooth. Add the chocolate to the egg mixture and whisk until batter is smooth.
4. Divide the batter among the prepared ramekins. Place the ramekins onto the trivet in the pressure cooker.
5. Lock the pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent handle to Sealing. Select Cake and cook on High Pressure for 9 minutes. Turn steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure.
6. Carefully invert the ramekins onto plates to release cakes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and top with blueberries and strawberries.
Try different spreads besides Nutella, like peanut butter, cashew butter, or almond butter. Or try whole nuts, like cashews or almonds in the batter. Serve with ice cream or coconut ice cream for extra delicious-ness.
Chicken Fried Rice
Ready in: 20 mins Servings: 4
Chicken fried rice is a great option for quick to-go meals, particularly for work lunches. This recipe adds green beans for extra vegetable content to a traditional stir-fried rice with chicken.
Making your favorite fried rice recipe is a great trick when you need to use up leftover rice. It actually works best when the rice is cold from the refrigerator a day or two after it's made!
This quick and easy recipe is ready to go in just about 20 minutes.
1. Melt 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil together in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 2 large eggs in the oil, moving continually with a spatula until cooked into small curds.
2. Stir 3 cups of cooked short grain brown rice, 1 ½ cup cooked chicken chunks, 1 ½ cup peas and carrots, 3 green onions, 1 tsp garlic powder, and ½ tsp red pepper flakes with the egg; cook until rice begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Stir ¼ cup soy sauce into the rice mixture; cook for 1 minute.
5. Remove from heat and allow rice to cool completely.
6. Divide rice and cooked green beans between 4 resealable containers; garnish with green onions.
7. Pour additional ¼ cup soy sauce into portion cups; place into containers.
8. Seal containers and refrigerate meals for up to 4 days.
Love spice? Feel free to add a little more red pepper flakes or even add a drizzle of sriracha for added heat!